In order to make this blog a good experience for everyone, here are some rules of the road.
- You don’t have to be a progressive to post here or comment. Nor do you have to be Episcopal, or a Christian. I don’t care what you do for a living, what your ethnicity is, what your sexual orientation is, what you gender identity is, whether you are Republican, Democrat, Independent, Libertarian, Green, Socialist. I don’t care about your skin color, how many degrees you have, or whether you disagree with me. In fact, I hope that many who read this blog won’t agree with me. That’s what makes the world go around.
- If you are a Christian, I don’t care if you are evangelical, progressive, unchurched, Roman Catholic, whatever. Nor am I going to get into whether Mormons are Christian, or Scientologists, or Jews for Jesus. Use whatever label you want, or no label at all.
I favor free speech. All views are welcome, subject to the caveats below:
- Respect the dignity of every human being. No racial slurs, no hate speech, no advocating violence. No disrespect to our evangelical brothers and sisters, either.
- No threats. That means towards me, towards my family, or towards others, and includes interfering with people’s employment, implicit threats, veiled threats or threats via innuendo.
- No lies. If you disagree with someone, say so. But if you try to discredit someone by lying about them (as happened to me over at The Wartburg Watch), I reserve the right to delete your comment. And if you keep at it, I will block you.
- Don’t show up at my door or call me in the middle of the night. I’ve already had a couple of experiences of that sort, and I can assure you–as a former police officer, I don’t tolerate that nonsense.
- Don’t chain dial me. If I am busy doing something else, I will call you back as soon as possible, so long as you are not calling to tell me that Pope Francis is the anti-Christ. Maybe he is, but I can’t help you with that.
- Don’t be dumb. If you call me a Son of Satin, as one dummy did, I will get a good laugh out of it, but I will probably also block you.
- I reserve the right to be unfair or irrational. If you think you have a legitimate concern, email me. But at the end of the day, it’s my blog, and my decision.
- Don’t tell me that negative stuff here is defamatory. I am an attorney and know full well what is and is not defamatory. And if you post comments here that are defamatory, I will pull them down so fast your head will spin. That said, I take no responsibility for the comments or content of third parties.
- Don’t try to get me discuss my experiences with a certain Episcopal church here in Northern Virginia, or its rector. I may publish material about this topic if I wish to do so, but that’s up to me, and I am putting the matter behind me.
- As I have said elsewhere, do not assume that I am writing about any particular person, place or thing unless I specifically say so. My experience with organized faith is long and varied, as is the case for most people, and I’ve had lots of good and bad experiences.
- I hold the copyright to all content I have written. Permission is given to use all content, but if you use a full piece, please provide attribution and a link to my site.